Saturday, December 30, 2006

Christmas in Changsha


Today is Saturday - but its a work day- one of those curious times of the year that we work the weekend so we can get a day off - so I'm working Saturday so I can have Monday and Tuesday off for New Year. I think I would have preferred to have the weekend and just monday off but nevermind.

So instead of doing something fun (or more interesting than sitting at the computer being frustrated by limited access to the net and no access to my emails) - I am doing some planning and preparation for the coming weeks of therapy. But since it is officially lunch time at the moment thought I would update my blog.

It seems Christmas is increasingly becoming a recognised celebration in China. This year there were loads of places (shops, hotels) with Christmas displays and decorations up. There were also many Christmas decorations and Christmas themed gifts for sale (admittedly in the american, french and other foreign backed superstores like Walmart, Carefour and Metro) and some of the locals were buying. Even the markets down by the river were overflowing with christmas trees, tinsels and baubels. Many of the big hotels and some nightclubs have special performances or parties but they are held on Christmas eve (24th), in fact, it seems most people seem to believe that Christmas is celebrated on the night of the 24th and they call it "Ping An Ye" or Silent Night.

I had a really busy christmas but finally had a quieter Christmas lunch on Christmas day at one of the fancier hotels in town who do a christmas buffet and decorate with christmassy things. They even had gingerbread houses and displayes all over the place.



Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?